There is a lot of talk about content marketing, but what about a content strategy? The sad reality is that users don’t have the time read all the content marketers want them to read, but there are some things brands can do to ensure their content is maximized.
DESIGN FOR THE MULTISCREEN REALITY-[inlinetweet prefix=”” tweeter=”” suffix=”null”]Consumers are multiscreening more than ever before, optimize your content for it.[/inlinetweet]
- [inlinetweet prefix=”null” tweeter=”null” suffix=”null”]On average, 83 percent of global consumers report they multiscreen, using 2.23 devices at the same time[/inlinetweet].
- While the majority of consumers report feeling good about multiscreening (81% entertained, 80% connected, 76% productive), nearly half (47%) say they are distracted by multiscreening.
- As a ention spans shrink, 59 percent of consumers globally would rather engage with content that’s beautifully designed than simple—even when short on time.
- Consumers ranked display (65%) as the most important aspect when it comes to content experience in their personal life, and 54 percent listed overall good design, such as appealing layout and photography as important.
DON’T FALL VICTIM TO #TLDR-Consumers’ higher expectations = lower patience for sub-par experiences.
• Eighty-nine percent of digital device users would switch devices or stop viewing altogether when encountering content that fails to meet their expectations.
• [inlinetweet prefix=”null” tweeter=”null” suffix=”null”]Sixty-seven percent of consumers would stop engaging if content is too long. [/inlinetweet]
• Nearly 8 in 10 would do the same if the content doesn’t display well on their device.
• More than half of consumers (57%) would prefer to watch videos on breaking news vs. read an article and 63 percent would rather skim several short stories than read deeper articles.
YOU REALLY NEED TO LIGHTEN UP-Entertainment and humor can help brands connect.
- Seventy percent of global consumers agree that humor makes companies more relatable, but just 14 percent rate company created content as entertaining.
- Almost one in three (29%) globally believe that content that entertains is more important than content that is accurate. Entertainment
is particularly valued in France, where 42 percent believe it’s more important than being accurate.
- Globally, “making people laugh” was identified as the top personal motivator for sharing content.
IN OUR RELATIONSHIPS WE TRUST-In an era of high skepticism, tapping into trusted relationships is critical.
- [inlinetweet prefix=”null” tweeter=”null” suffix=”null”]Consumers are highly skeptical of most content they view online:[/inlinetweet] half of consumers (50%) question whether negative comments or reviews have been removed, 49 percent wonder if an author was paid/incented to write a positive review and 48 percent question whether a news article is biased.
- Eighty-one percent consider a product endorsed by an ordinary user more trustworthy than one endorsed by a celebrity.
- Consumer trust in content increases as their relationship with the source grows stronger—even for brands. Only 23 percent of consumers trust content from companies whose products they don’t buy, but if the source is a company from whom they do purchase products and have a relationship, that number nearly doubles to 43 percent.
- People are also most likely to share content when it comes from a source they’re close to, such as a friend or family member (65%) or a colleague (36%).
DON’T SHOW UP UNINVITED-Consumers are willing to share information, but expect return on value
• Seventy-three percent say they are open to suggestions or predictive recommendations from brands, based on their past behavior.
• ree quarters (75%) of digital device users are willing to share at least one piece of information to improve content recommendations from brands.
• Of those consumers not willing to share information about themselves, 40 percent believe companies could do something to ease their concern and 25 percent suggested “asking permission to access data” would make them more comfortable.