“The millennial conversation, in a sense, is used by the media to get traffic,” says Dan Schawbel, a partner and research director at executive development firm Future Workplace. Schawbel admits that editors have asked him to include the word in his writing in order to draw a wider readership. And all this while Boomers are ignored.
- People over 50 are responsible for over half of all consumer spending.
- They outspend the average consumer in nearly every major product category –food, household furnishings, entertainment, personal care, automotive…
- People over 50 outspend other adults online 2:1 on a per capita basis
- They have a net worth about 3 times that of other generations.
- They buy about 60% of all new cars.
- If they were their own country, Americans over 50 would be the 3rd largest economy in the world. Larger than Japan, Germany, or India.
If you want to be a successful consultant or marketing guru you must first convince the gullible business community that things are changing dramatically and the only way for them to stay ahead of the curve is to hire you for your unique expertise. So every 20 years they invent a new generation with distinctive, mysterious characteristics that only they can explain.