2. Likes or people following you on social media do not necessarily lead to business/brand objectives.
3. If you don’t have a business/brand objective for doing social media than why are you even considering it ?
4. Mass marketing can still be effective for some products and brands but marketers have to understand how much weight consumers put on purchase decision for certain products. Are consumers, for example, really going to research a new brand of ice cream or flavor of cookies ?
5. You need to have clear success metrics for any marketing initiative in place BEFORE you launch your program.
6. The reason that most interactive marketing programs fail is because companies do not understand the complexity of all the elements involved in digital marketing.
7. If you do not measure cost per targeted action or cost per conversion for search marketing you’re wasting a lot of money.
8. Brands are media today and you need to think about what is valuable to CONSUMERS not your marketers.
9. The biggest challenge to any brand is finding someone who can successfully bridge brand objectives to consumers needs and wants.
10. One of the most overlooked metrics in interactive marketing is “bounce rate”.
11. There is way too much data out there and a lot of it it is garbage. Don’t take any data at face value fill in the missing pieces of the puzzle through good research.
12. Anyone can prepare a web analytics report but it takes skill and someone who understands marketing and how people use the Internet to take data and turn it into actionable recommendations.
13. You need to have more than one person doing interactive marketing. Today you need someone for analytics, search marketing, content marketing and social media marketing.
14. People who go to your social media page on Facebook maybe different than the people who come to your website. Think about how each can be integrated to form a great brand experience online.
15. Every time you update your website you should test and validate it to ensure everything works well.
16. The best online experience doesn’t matter if you don’t exceed customers expectations at all other brand touch points.
17. Before entering any conversation you need to listen first.
18. Reach & frequency are not relevant to today’s consumers.
19. Consumers today like saving money and brands that do not give consumers a reason to purchase their product are going to find promotional costs rising.
20. There is no such thing as a social media expert and you should never listen to someone who has not successfully provided real business results beyond vanity metrics like number of followers or likes.
21. Agencies can no longer afford to do whatever a client wants them to do if they know it is a bad decision. It is better to walk away from bad marketing than to be a part of it.